Sustainability has always been core to our operation.
We seek to minimise our impact on the environment and to operate in a responsible and conscious manner.
Our Environmental Policy sets a core objective of achieving carbon neutrality and we have an on-going programme of initiatives to achieve our carbon neutrality target, including:
- We launched the Electric Green Leaflet Machine – the first electric leaflet delivery van, which we use in the Edinburgh area. The Electric Green Leaflet Machine has a range of 28 miles and replaces a diesel van, cutting our carbon emissions by over five tonnes each year.
- Drivers undertaking eco-driving training courses to minimise their use of fuel and reduce carbon emissions. We estimate this training reduces our emissions by up to 15% p/a (and results in lower van maintenance costs).
- Satellite tracking software is installed in all our vans to help drivers find the shortest routes and cut journey times.
- Our network of regional depots reduces the number of van journeys.
- In Edinburgh, our van drivers are supplemented by Cycle Teams who distribute to busy city centre display sites by bicycle during August. This is quicker, cheaper and more sustainable.
We have taken a number of steps to reduce and manage our energy usage, including the following:
- Our national storage and distribution centres use low energy lighting and ambient gas warehouse heating that have reduced our energy costs by over 30%. (In addition, tap flow restrictions and toilet cistern hippos have minimised our water wastage and cut our water costs by almost 20%).
- Our Kintore storage and distribution centre incorporates a zonal temperature control system and insulation that is 200% above building standard requirements.
We also introduced a biodiversity garden at a previous depot – in Loanhead Edinburgh. We maximise our own recycling and encourage our clients to do the same. Our staff are enthusiastic recyclers. We recycle all office paper, have reduced our paper usage by 35% and recycle waste by providing separate bins and caddies for staff to recycle plastic bottles, drink cans, food tins,etc.
What we do now, we hope others will do in the future – we are working towards a greener tomorrow.